Thursday, June 04, 2009

She Is Here!!!



You know, the whole time I was pregnant, I really tried to remind myself from time to time to enjoy the special parts of carrying a baby. Troy and I are not planning on any more kids, so I knew this was my last pregnancy. There really are some things to treasure about pregnancy, like having a belly that's supposed to be big, like feeling the kicking and squirming, like trying to imagine what your baby's face will look like. I am going to miss those things. But I'll tell you, they are paling in comparison to having our baby here at last. I'm already so nuts about her I can hardly stand it.

We have not yet named our new little bundle, so for now, I think I'll just call her Bundle! As I mentioned, I was scheduled to be induced yesterday morning, but the day before, I went in to see my midwife and we were able to get things going a little bit, so that on Tuesday night I started contracting. I was in some form of labor all night, though not advanced enough to go in to the hospital early. We still went in at our regularly scheduled time, but progressing in labor at the same time. Yay! No pitocin! Margy, my midwife, broke my water and off we went. I labored pretty intensly for three hours or so and then things started to feel a little out of control. The contractions were getting so much more intense, but getting farther and farther apart, so the delivery wasn't getting any closer. I think I started to panic a little bit and I had a hard time really relaxing. I finally chose to have an epidural, and I have to say, I don't think I've ever been so happy or so grateful for anything in my life before. I really did want to go med-free, and I'm not going to lie and say I'm not really proud that I did that with Bitty. But this time around, that epidural made for a really wonderful birth. Even now, as I think about yesterday morning I keep feeling a rush of gratitude that I was able to have that medicine. What's really funny was that as soon as the medicine was in, Margy gave me just a whiff of pitocin to get the contractions progressing, my whole body relaxed, and Bundle was ready to come within 30 minutes. I really feel like it was a good birth experience, and that's the most important thing for anyone, I'd say!





As soon as Bundle got here, Margy just slipped her right up onto my chest - one of the most incredible experiences I've had in my life. The nurses let me keep her there for quite a while, (a lot longer than I got to hold Bitty), before taking her to clean, measure, weigh and warm her. Then I got to feed her right away and we just enjoyed her for a few hours before her first bath and all that stuff. Bundle's hair is lighter than either of the other kids' was at birth, and she has these cute little curly tufts over her ears. Her litte face is so round and squashy and wonderful. I can't tell if she looks like either of the other kids, and certainly over the next few days and weeks we'll get a better idea of who this little gal is.


Bundle met her siblings around dinner time last night, and that was a very sweet experience too. Both Bitty and Stomper were so excited and sweet and instantly proclaimed their love for their sister the moment they laid eyes on her. I know there will be lots of ups and downs these next few weeks but I forsee both kids being very grown-up helpers and adoring older siblings. I loved sitting here in my bed with Bitty on my left, Stomper on my right, and Bundle being passed between all of us.


I'm feeling great, and am really relishing these couple of days spent in the hospital with Bundle. There is nothing like those first few days and I'm savoring every moment. I'm so grateful that Bundle got here safely, that she already feels like she's always been part of the family and that I have so many blessings that I couldn't begin to count them.



13 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

She's beautiful and I'm so glad everything went so well. Blessings.

stephgardner said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you and she is adorable! I'm glad that it went well and you're feeling good. I'm very impressed you are blogging from the hospital - what dedication! Can't wait to meet Bundle!

Gina said...

So beautiful! She makes me want another one, ummm wait a minute. Maybe later huh? Name that girl something really lovely!

Keersten said...

She looks like a little doll! Congratulations! I am glad she is finally here!

luann said...

So precious! She was just being fashionably late! Glad everything went well and hope you have a good recovery!

ghd3 said...

great post. can't wait to meet her. Glad everyone is well. Happy big brother/big sister day to her older sibs!

Bella said...

so excited for you all! she is truly beautiful! what a great post, rachel...you really do have a gift of writing! the name bundle is perfect! stomper, bitty and bundle! love it!

Jodi said...

Congratulations Preslars! I'm glad everything went well for you Rachel. She is adorable and I love those little curls above her ears. Enjoy the relishing.

Kelly said...

It has been so fun following your progress these last few weeks. Thanks for being such a devoted blogger - a rare thing these days! Congratulations to your cute family. I can't wait to hear what you name her.

tiffrsmith said...

Yay!! She's here! I'm so happy for you guys. Baby's truly are a blessing. She's absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to hear what you name her!

Melissa said...

I cannot believe that you have blogged already. Way to make me look bad! She is beautiful! I am so excited to see her in person. I'm glad everything went well. Congratulations!!!

jefferies said...

OH Hooray!! Congratulations! She is a doll!

Nicole said...

congrats! I am so excited for you and your family she is so adorable and sweet. Keep us posted!