Thursday, November 30, 2023

All-Hallow's Hijinks

Troy and I have had a lot of fun the past few years putting together couple's costumes. First came H.I. and Edwina from Raising Arizona. Then came Mr. Rooney and his secretary from Ferris Buhler's Day Off. Last year was less of a hit - we donned a green and  blue t-shirts and became the Kratt Brothers, complete with Romney as Zooboomafoo, our lemur. However, we didn't look much like we were wearing costumes. It was just that Troy looks so very much like Martin Kratt, we always wanted to try it.

This year I felt like putting a bit more effort into the costumes, but not so much as to kill me. We juggled a lot of ideas. Everything from Bender and Claire (The Breakfast Club) to Jareth and Sarah (Labyrinth). I would LOVE to be Sarah sometime, but I think it would have been too depressing to don a gorgeous white poofy dress and yet not look very much like Jennifer Connelly, especially as she was about 16 and I'm 50. The winning idea didn't hit until I opened a package I had ordered of a really cute Halloween dress. (Doesn't everyone have a Halloween outfit?) Someone said it reminded them of Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus. That was it! Ms. Frizzle! And Troy could be Mr. Rogers. No, they weren't on the same show, I know. But they were for sure PBS Kids buddies. (And according to my research, were deeply in love. See photo below.)



We were able to wear our costumes twice - once at the ward Halloween Party/Chili Cook-Off, affectionately dubbed Spooks-N-Beans. I am no longer in charge of organizing the event, so I felt ok about submitting a chili to the contest. I kind of knew it was cheating to enter this chili - it's the recipe of my sister-in-law, Whitley, and it wins every single contest it's ever been in. I shouldn't have put it in. It's just that it's so good. And I wasn't thinking when I offered any assistance needed to the event organizer - she asked me to be in charge of buying the prizes. I got spoons and dish towels and thought I'd be hilarious and get a cheap tiara for the grand prize winner. Which...I then won. I felt really stupid. Luckily there was a very cute granddaughter of a friend at the event and she was in desperate need of a tiara. Lesson learned. Next time I'll try my luck with a different chili recipe.

The other event was at my friend Becca's house. She threw a poetry group dinner which was delightful. She has gotten into Halloween only in the past few years, like myself, and we both have found that once we settled on a vibe we liked, we both became pretty gung-ho about the holiday. 




Oh, and we got a surprise appearance from Romney at the Spooks-n-Beans. She was up in SLC (not a rare thing, as you may have noticed) and she and two buddies decided to throw together a Kiki's delivery service theme and they showed up. Really cute.


In other good fun of the season, Romney came home for one last Lagoon trip. She and her buddies donned costumes and headed to Farmington, where they learned that guests were not allowed to wear costumes to Lagoon. So...they went to In-n-Out and then went and watched movies all evening. Isn't Romney's sweatshirt cool? Her roommate made it using bleach! She asked Romney to wear it around as an advertisement. She obviously got her friend Nicholas interested and he bought one too, along with two or three other people.



I'm glad Troy and I didn't end up dressing up as characters from The Breakfast Club, partly because I felt a little weird about wearing costumes from a rated R movie to a church function, but also because for official Halloween, Romney and friends also went with a Breakfast Club theme. I think they look fantastic.


Romney played Allison. I should have gotten her some pixie stix.





Cute Emma messed around with a couple of different ideas - she was a witch for the chili cook off. And on Halloween night she got invited to do some trick-or-treating with old Jr. High friends. She dressed as a hobbit and had a lovely time. She is so stinking cute.


 


No comments: