Thursday, November 16, 2023

Field Trips Forever!

I don't think it's been much of a secret that I am not a fan of going on field trips with my kids. But that was just because they hadn't been in college yet. As it turns out, I adore going on field trips with my college kid. And let me be clear, I never minded being with my own child on field trips. It was just all the other kids around that made me nuts. Even Emma's 8th grade class last year made me almost leave a Rachel-shaped hole in the wall of the Utah Museum of Natural History. 

Anyhow. I wouldn't have guessed that field trips were going to be a part of college. I'm thrilled to be wrong! I suppose that many college kids do these trips on their own, but I'm so glad ours wanted us to tag along. Romney is taking an anthropology course this semester, and she had to choose a group of projects to complete. There were several choices, such as a group of 10 essays and things like that. She picked the project of visiting 4 archeological sites in Utah and writing about them. The problem? Actually getting to the sites. She hasn't had her car with her and also doesn't feel great about going on long trips on her own. That's how the problem became the fun part for us - taking her!

Her first visit was to Nine Mile Canyon in the Price area. Troy was the lucky one to spend a Saturday with her, making the long drive and visiting many cool sites along the way. They got up very early in the morning and hit the road. Romney loves going on road trips. This couldn't have been any happier for either of them.









The second visit happened to be along the way to St. George, where I took the girls in October to see some plays. (More on that later.) It was called the Parowan Gap. We didn't stay that long or take that many photos but it was still fun to see. In fact, there are zero photos of the actual college student.


The latest was a trip to the Natural History Museum of Utah. This time was just the two of us, and was considerably more enjoyable than the previous time I had been there with my own hoard of a dozen crabby eighth graders I had to be in charge of but failed pretty terribly. (Still traumatized? Me? What do you mean?)

We have one more trip coming up, and I'm looking forward to it. 


 

No comments: