Monday, October 25, 2010

Smiled Upon By the Birthday Gods

Event Number 3:
Stomper's Pre-Birthday Party

Stomper doesn't turn 8 until Thursday, but seeing as how that day bumps right into the Halloween weekend, we thought we'd throw the party the weekend before.  We almost did it on Saturday, but thankfully I was inspired to do it Friday instead.  I'm thankful because Friday was cool, sunny and gorgeous.  Saturday it got cold and rainy and it's been precipitating ever since.  Thank you, birthday gods.  The park is the absolutely bestest place for a gang of 7 and 8 year old boys.  They can run and be crazy and loud and there are no walls for them to knock over in their...uh, vivaciousness. Perfect!  We pulled up to the park 15 minutes before the party started and it was comletely empty.  Thank you again, birthday gods.  Truly, they smiled on me that day.

Of course I ran into the same problem I always do of balancing the going-totally-overboard factor and the finding-enough-to-do factor.  I think I did okay, although I never would have made it without the help of grandparents and about 6 moms who stuck around to help out.  I felt guilty that I wasn't able to put on the whole party single handedly, but seriously, who could manage 15 little boys alone?  I can barely manage one!

Fun party!  There was a Ben-10 theme (if you don't know who that is I don't think you should lose any sleep over it - he's just a character from a cartoon,) and we had coloring pages, cookie decorating and a little craft.  That all took me 12 hours to prepare and about 23 minutes for the boys to get through.  Luckily, we were at the park and they could just go run.  Then when the running turned into wrestling and tree-branch fencing, my friend Heather (bless you, friend!) led the boys in a few games. 

Pizza, yummy cake and a few presents topped off a very fun afternoon.  Ready for another slew of pictures?  Here you go!










1 comment:

Windybrook Spinner said...

That is a lot of boys having a lot of fun. Way to go mom.