Sunday, August 02, 2009

Out With a Bang

July ended with excitement around our house! On Friday morning I was having one of those mornings where I had to be someplace (the dentist) and I felt like I spent the entire morning just getting ready to go to my 11:00 a.m. appointment. I did manage to get my teeth brushed, but just barely. As I was pulling out of the driveway, I got a phone call from my youngest brother, Peter, who let me know that they were going to have their baby that day. Whoa!!! I had told them that I'd take their 1st daughter while they were at the hospital, and I was very glad that I wasn't getting this call in the middle of the night. So after my dentist appointment, I headed over to the new Intermountain Medical Center (aka the Death Star...) to see Peter and Sheri and take Siena home with me. We spent the day together, and Siena held it together pretty well. Baby Cara (pronounced like Car, not Care...) was born at almost six that night, and I brought Siena back to the hospital around 7:30 or something. When I first got there Cara was out of the room getting all fixed up with immunizations and such, and I got to sit there and chat with Sheri for a bit while I held my sleeping Bundle.

I'll confess that when Peter came in with little Cara I just had to cry a little. Bundle is already so big - she looked like a monster next to this little 6 1/2 pounder. And it hit me like a ton of bricks that it would never be me in the hospital with a new baby again. Never would that tiny tiny little lizard-legged suckling little creature be mine again. And it kind of took my breath away. Troy and I really feel good about Bundle being our last, and I still don't want one more baby. But I think there's not much I wouldn't give to have one more day with each of my babies as a 1 day old. (Okay, Stomper, being a premie, wasn't too fun on his first day, but I'd take him a few days after that!) Anyway, it's hard, even when you feel that your family is all here, to let go of that part of your life. But you know, Bundle is getting funner by the day - smiling and laughing, making little noises, trying to hold up her head, and it looks like she's going to keep her blue eyes - it's fun to see our babies get bigger too.



By the time I got home from the hospital, it was quite late. Troy had been considering taking the big kids for a little crawdad fishing that evening, but the day was just too nuts, so he ended up having a sleep out with them in the back yard. So cute. I love my husband. We planned a bunch of stuff like this for the last few weeks of summer, and he gets excited whenever one of the events comes up. He loves his kids. And I love him.



And now we wait to hear from my OTHER brother, in LA, whose wife is to be induced in the morning. Granddaughter number three, finally to arrive! I can't wait to see her little face and get her here safely. It seemed like it would be so long before all three babies were here, and now there's just one day left. Pretty exciting.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Too true - each moment is precious & while you do love experiencing all the new ones, it's sad to think you won't re-experience some of the past favs...aaaahhhh

Windybrook Spinner said...

I agree. That first day is really wonderful. Besides the wonderful little newborn, I also loved that I wasn't pregnant anymore. Celebration! It is a strange feeling when you know you are done with that part of your life. You kind of have to grieve a little.

Bella said...

that would be such a bitter-sweet moment! your troy is adorable, by the way!