Monday, September 17, 2007

Good Weekend. Really Good.

What's that famous saying? Something about "Pride goeth before the whuppin'?" Yeah - what a fun football weekend! As you should already be aware, the Running Utes were set to play UCLA this weekend, and I was afraid we were going to get creamed. Forgive my lack of faith. UCLA is ranked 11th in the country. Correction: WAS ranked 11th. We've already had a tough year with two losses and four injuries to starting players. I could hardly stand to watch. Troy even got tickets to go see the game - his buddy Mike gave them to him because Mike was going to Florida to watch Urban Meyer coach the Gators for a game. Mike mentioned that this was a game he was okay to miss - he just couldn't stand to watch the bloodletting, and Troy wasn't that excited himself. While he and another high-school friend went to the game I tried to listen on the radio and catch a little on the tube while the kids played. I get so pumped during games - I actually made Romney cry twice when I yelled. So, we basically killed them - 44 to 6. They didn't get a single touchdown, just two field goals in the first quarter. I was bouncing off the walls with energy, waiting for Troy to get home so we could jump up and down together. When he finally came in the door, he didn't look that excited. He was totally in shock. He had these big wide eyes and raised eyebrows - he just looked like he couldn't believe it. What a fun game. I hope the team's confidence and energy continues for some more W's for the season.

Other fun events of the weekend included Indian Food (I could stop right there - that's enough for pure joy all by itself) with friends, two of whom were our dear Seattle friends, popping in for a quick weekend visit. I'm always so glad that they try to see people when they're here, no matter how short a time. The evening concluded with Hagendaaz ice cream bars at the Jacobsen's house, us gathered around the dining room table eating, talking and laughing. I'm so grateful for my friends. And thank you again, Margaret, for babysitting. My kids love you.

We got a report from a primary teacher on Sunday. Apparently a couple of weeks ago in Primary during sharing time, one of the leaders was talking about gifts, and asked if any of the kids liked to get gifts. C raised his hand, and when he was asked what kind of gifts he likes to get he replied, "The bigger the better!" Oh yeah, that's my boy. Seriously, where did he hear that? I don't think I've ever said that.

2 comments:

Windybrook Spinner said...

Caleb popped out with "Okie Dokie Artichokie" and "Boys will be boys" this week. I have no idea where he heard either phrase. Oh wait! The latter is on his new favorite movie, THE EXTREMELY GOOFY MOVIE, which I probably shouldn't be letting him watch, but he loves the skateboarding in it.

ghd3 said...

thanks so much for hanging out with us while we were there -- it was so great to see you! and we were pleased at the astonishing Ute victory Saturday. See you soon!